Our Services: Allied Health Services
The Physiotherapy department of the Mildura Base Hospital provides service to both inpatients and outpatients. We are a dynamic team of both full-time and part-time qualified Physiotherapists.
We have two full-time therapists who provide an acute physiotherapy service as required to the 146 bed hospital. Their caseload is varied and includes acute cardiothoracic, orthopaedic and neurological care for patients following general abdominal surgery, orthopaedic surgery or trauma; for patients requiring acute rehabilitation, or for patients requiring management of medical conditions. This can include service to the post-natal ward, intensive care and paediatric beds.
We are co-located within the Allied Health Department with a multidisciplinary team of therapists and have a focus on holistic patient care with cross referral and a case management approach as appropriate.
We provide a wide variety of Physiotherapy services from acute orthopaedics, to neurological and orthopaedic rehabilitation, and paediatric assessment and treatment.
We are designated as a Community Rehabilitation Centre and have incorporated the provision of rehabilitation services to community patients in our service provision.
We receive referrals from our own inpatient wards, from local doctors and from larger Adelaide and Melbourne hospitals.
We manage patients in both the individual setting and in groups. This includes the provision of
- Hydrotherapy services
- Fracture clinic - in the Physiotherapy area each Tuesday morning in conjunction with Orthopaedic specialists.
- Cardiac Rehabilitation Program - held every Thursday afternoon in Physiotherapy utilising a multidisciplinary team of health professionals.
- Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program - a new clinic being developed with a variety of health professional staff.
- Falls and Balance clinic - a new clinic being developed to target an at-risk group of patients, currently incorporating Tai Chi sessions, exercise and home hazard assessment.
- Community Rehabilitation Centre - providing a range of therapy services within a multidisciplinary team to a wide variety of patients. This is a new service to the district.
- Strengthening and exercise classes